Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Craziness and Poetry

I've been meaning to post for several days now, but it seems like every time I sit down to do it, a million other things happen and suddenly it's midnight (like it is right now) and I have to go to bed. But I'm sucking it up right now because I'm sick of not posting.

For my creative writing class this week we had to write a sonnet, and let me tell you: hardest writing assignment I've had in quite a while. You'd think 14 lines of 10 syllables each wouldn't be that hard, but I spent a good 4 hours writing this little baby. I was inspired by this picture and had a very clear idea in my head of what I wanted my sonnet to feel like and the ideas I wanted to express, so it took that unbelievable amount of time to make it happen. Hope you enjoy.



Sun Streaks

I feel my body, my galaxy, shine.
My limbs thrown wide, my palms out, receiving.
Ecstasy fills me, my breath hardly mine.
Sun touches my skin: warm and relieving.
Breathing, expanding, eyes open, explode.
A roundness hovers, a dome overhead.
Fire licks, consumes this earthly abode.
Consumption breeds new birth, and a skin to be shed.

Now the fire is spent, just ashes remain.
Death of the star given way to dense cloud.
I shake off the mist, as if of light rain.
And lift up my voice, triumphant and proud.

I feel my body, my galaxy, new.
The imprint of sun streaks the Architect drew.

2 comments:

  1. Kimber, this is gorgeous. I am always so enchanted with your gifts of expression. This seems like an incredibly hard assignment! Yet you rose to the challenge and used all your powers of artistry, braininess and creativity to pull it off. I know how difficult it is to fit your vision for a poem into a structure like this - I am totally wowed!!

    The last line is my favorite - the way it connects to the title and picture and ties the whole poem together with a deeper meaning. There are so many interpretations that could be made of your sonnet, I love it.

    And what an amazing picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becki, thank you so much. Really, it means so much to me that you like this! I was really excited about it, and so inspired by the picture; I just couldn't wait to post it.

    I'm so glad you liked the last line, I absolutely loved it when it happened. It was magic.

    Thanks again for lovin' on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers