Friday, December 10, 2010

C.S. Lewis is My Hero

I've been reading Words to Live By which is a compilation of writings of C.S. Lewis on different subjects. My very favorite so far is the second word in the book: asceticism. On the subject he says, and I quote:
"To shrink back from all that can be called Nature into negative spirituality is as if we ran away from horses instead of learning to ride. There is in our present pilgrim condition plenty of room (more room than most of us like) for abstinence and renunciation and mortifying our natural desires. But behind all asceticism the thought should be, 'Who will trust us with the true wealth if we cannot be trusted even with the wealth that perishes?' Who will trust me with a spiritual body if I cannot control even an earthly body? These small and perishable bodies we now have were given to us as ponies are given to schoolboys. We must learn to manage: not that we may some day be free of horses altogether but that some day we may ride bare-back, confident and rejoicing, those greater mounts, those winged, shining and world-shaking horses which perhaps even now expect us with impatience, pawing and snorting in the King's stables. Not that the gallop would be of any value unless it were a gallop with the King; but how else--since He has retained His own charger--should we accompany Him?"

Now let that sink in a little bit. Maybe read it again. I love the analogy of horses that he uses; maybe it resonates with me because I love horses so much, but I think anyone can feel the weight of the comparison. Horses are such powerful, thundering creatures, ones to be gotten used to and a relationship must be developed. To be exalted in Heaven, we must master our earthly bodies so that we can be trusted with better bodies on High and ride with the King in a thundering charge through the heavens. What a magnificent day that will be. Thinking of it like that makes it so much easier to make decisions that will keep me pure...it helps to know that in the end it is worth the sacrifices of this world. For this world is full of pony-sized pleasures, but there is a winged stallion waiting for me if I do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers