Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My New Favorite Class

This semester I'm taking a Creative Writing class, which I think I mentioned in my last post. It's every Tuesday night from 5-7:30 and most of the class is spent work-shopping manuscripts from the students that were sent around the Friday before. So, I was one of the volunteers to submit work for the first week! We could write 3-4 poems, a short story, or a personal essay. Since poetry's kind of my thing, I wrote a new poem, and submitted 2 other semi-recent ones, which he said was ok since we only 3 days' notice. I wanted to share my new poem here, so enjoy :)

Opus
His fingers touch
The ivory keys.
Caressing,
Familiar, yet
Somehow new.

His head bows as he
Breathes,
An aching moment
Before the first hammer
Strikes
The strings.

Like water, like light,
A tumbling melody
Streams
Through his fingertips.
The ivories
Dance,
Laugh,
Cry—
Vibrations hanging in the
Listening air.

His eyes closed tight,
Harrowed soul laid
Bare,
He rises, turns
And takes his bow
To the applause heard
In his head.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers