Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Age of Silence

There's this book called The History of Love.  I read it for the first time last fall and it changed my life. I'm now reading it for the second time, and when I got to my favorite part I had to share it here. The original passage is much longer, but you should still get the gist of why I am always moved when I read this:


"The first language humans had was gestures. There was nothing primitive about this language that flowed from people's hands, nothing we say now that could not be said in the endless array of movements possible with the fine bones of the fingers and wrists. The gestures were complex and subtle, involving a delicacy of motion that has since been lost completely....Just to open your palm was to say: Forgive me....

"If at large gatherings or parties, or around people with whom you feel distant, your hands sometimes hang awkwardly at the ends of your arms--if you find yourself at a loss for what to do with them, overcome with sadness that comes when you recognize the foreignness of your own body--it's because your hands remember a time when the division between mind and body, brain and heart, what's inside and what's outside, was so much less. It's not that we've forgotten the language of gestures entirely. The habit of moving our hands while we speak is left over from it. Clapping, pointing, giving the thumbs-up: all artifacts of ancient gestures. Holding hands, for example, is a way to remember how it feels to say nothing together. And at night, when it's too dark to see, we find it necessary to gesture on each other's bodies to make ourselves understood."

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful and deeply felt post my smarty Kimber — a lovely insight into the mind-body connection, language, love, and intimacy. Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could take credit for writing it! haha. I love this book so much, especially this passage. I love getting to share it here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you love it so much is beautiful — thank you for sharing so much of yourself here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers