Saturday, October 23, 2010

Learning to Dance In the Rain


"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." This is one of my favorite quotes. I LOVE to dance in the rain. If you ask my mom, she'll tell you that you know I'm happy when I have someone who'll dance in the rain with me--that's the sign of a true friend. Some of my best poems, best kisses, best moments in general have happened in/because of the rain. 

There's something so peaceful in the sound of the drops hitting the window panes. Something ethereal in the air as the whole world turns gray. Something in the rain makes me pensive and quiet, and it's kind of nice not to really talk to anyone, just be alone with my thoughts. 

A couple weeks ago it rained so hard--I couldn't believe it! And I had to walk 11 blocks home from the grocery store, so I had a gallon of milk in my backpack and two bags of groceries I was carrying. Oh, and no jacket. The rain literally felt like buckets of water being poured over my head again and again, it was crazy! When I finally got home, I looked like I'd jumped into a swimming pool with all my clothes on. For some reason, being rain-wet seems much wetter than shower-wet; I have no idea why that is. Maybe it's all the water your clothes hold, it makes you feel heavy and saturated with the water....Anyway, it was an adventure :) 

Here's a poem about rain that I wrote when I was 14, visiting New York with my dad:

Mushrooms in New York

The rain pours
Steadily
On the busy streets of Manhattan.
From the 13th floor of one
Of many
Skyscrapers, I watch
Two-legged mushrooms
Scurry about
In the rain.
Their bubble tops are
Colored,
The legs all look
The same.
These funny little
Two-legged mushrooms
That I watch from the
13th floor




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers