Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Peace Garden

As you might have gathered, if you're someone who regularly reads my blog, I've been struggling for a long time with being single. Sometimes it's okay, and other times it really hurts. I've had several guys in a row show significant interest, maybe even hold my hand, then suddenly back off completely, saying they're just not interested in dating me. It's like a formula that's become predictable in my dating life, and I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I've been doing so wrong that I can't seem to hold on to anything good...and I keep coming up empty.

I was talking to my sister about this a little while ago and she gave me some beautiful wisdom. She said, "Kimber, you need to cultivate a little peace garden inside of yourself, a place where you only nourish good, positive, peaceful feelings about yourself and your relationship with the world. Water that place inside of you instead of watering your feelings of fear or doubt or self-pity. As you grow those good feelings inside, good relationships will come at the right time and you will be better able to recognize them." Now that's what older sisters are for :)

As I thought about what she said, I realized it would be even better if I grew an actual garden that I could spend time nurturing every day, and while doing that, think positive, nurturing thoughts about myself. I told my best friends Megan and Erin about it while I was home that weekend and they wanted to do it with me! So we immediately went out to a cute little garden shop down town in Denver and bought matching pots (red for me, blue for Erin, and green for Meg) and some flowers. Meg and I got red poppies and Erin got columbines.


I still need some dirt for this little red pot of mine, but even having it in my room has kept me thinking positively and I love it every single day! If you feel so inspired, join my Peace Garden adventure. See what it does for your life :)

4 comments:

  1. Gardening is the best, even if its only purpose is to bring a little life into your room. Keep us updated on how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tay! I will for sure keep you updated. Hope all is well in Cali!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you know I love this post Kimber — you are awesome!! You truly made this idea your own ... and put it into such beautiful reality, getting these pots and flowers with Meg and Erin. You are very brave and an inspiration to me! I'm glad we can inspire each other, and thank you, thank you for your sweet words — when you quoted me, you said it much better than I did. :) I'm sending the most gigantic love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I don't think I said it any better than you did, I remember you saying all of those things very specifically. Thank you for being so supportive and excited for me in making your advice a reality. I love our mutually nourishing relationship so much!! Huge huge love right back to you :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers