Thursday, March 29, 2012

According to Hemingway

I saw Midnight in Paris tonight (an interesting movie) and was stopped in my tracks by this Hemingway line, had to pause the movie, get my notebook, rewind the scene and write it down right then:

Have you ever made love to a truly great woman? And when you make love to her, you feel true and beautiful passion and you, for at least that moment, lose your fear of death? 
I believe that love that is true and real creates a respite from death. All cowardice comes from not loving or not loving well, which is the same thing. And when the man who is brave and true looks death squarely in the face, like some rhino hunters I know, it is because they love with sufficient passion to push death out of their minds…until it returns, as it does to all men. And then you must make really good love again. Think about it.

I was so struck by this description of true love. That it gives you the capacity of passion and will to face your worst fears, even death. I think true love is that balance of feeling completely peaceful, yet ready to take on the world together. I can't wait for that moment when we look at each other and just know that there's nothing that can stop us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers