Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Journal Find

I keep a little thought book in my bag at all times; just a place to jot down random thoughts, quotes, Sunday notes, poems, or whatever's sparking my imagination at the moment. I recently got to the last page of my little book, so I went back and read it through all the way, which was really fun!

One of the little gems I wanted to share was an entry I made on my birthday. I'd gotten up waaayy earlier than I wanted to to catch a train up to Salt Lake to apply for a bunch of jobs, so I got to watch the sunrise over the mountains, and this came out:

The morning light is beautiful, almost white around the sun coming up over the mountains, then slowly fading into blue. The mountains themselves are clouded, as if seen through a frosted screen, revealing only shape, with no detail. On the ground, all the greens are bright, the yellow brought out in every shade. Everything around the greens is dulled by residual haze of the mountain mists. 

In the river running next to the train, the cotton-ball clouds are reflected and wrinkled as unseen webbed feet or tiny wings disturb the depths. 


(okay, it wasn't quite this beautiful, but you get the idea ;) )

2 comments:

  1. your poetry, succulent enjoyment of the earth, wonder at yourself and your world... bring it on, sister... I love this!

    -Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel! You are the greatest appreciator there ever was :)

      Delete

Followers