Sunday, May 12, 2013

For Mother's Day

This is my beautiful mamma:

(and my cousin, and me back when I had long hair haha)

First I just have to say how thankful I am to have a mother. When I meet people my age who have already lost their mothers to one circumstance or another, I am overwhelmed with sadness, both for them and at the thought of ever losing my mother at all. She is my rock, the one I turn to when I need help with almost anything. Just the other day I called her from the grocery store to check that I had all the right ingredients and plans for the dinner I wanted to make, and let's be real, it's way more fun to call your mom than just look things up on the internet, right? It was fun to share that small adult moment, while still being her child and needing a little help. 

My mom is the epitome of softness and home to me. Whenever I think of her, I automatically imagine myself snuggled into her chest, breathing in the smell that is just her, with her hands lightly stroking my back. And just like that, everything in the world is right again, even if it's just for a moment. I always think of her when I'm cooking, wishing I had that special touch that I can only assume comes with having babies. Maybe it's the hormones...or something. Whatever it is, it's only a mom thing. I think of her when I'm out walking, especially in the spring as everything's blooming, because she can tell me the names of almost everything we'd see; I love her passion for nature and the simple beauties of the world. She's the one who taught me to appreciate the little things, from a happy birdsong to the way leaves whisper to each other in the breeze. She taught me to love books, and only the best ones. She showed me how to serve selflessly and with ease. I was infused with a love of art, music, and performance from the time I was tiny, sitting at her feet listening to her sing over the carved body of her guitar. 

The only other thing that adds to how wonderful my mother is, is the way my father loves her. I have seen them grow closer than ever in the last few months as they have taken on a calling in our church that requires them to work very closely and intensely together, and it has been beautiful to watch. But of course, my dad has always been her biggest fan and the first one to brag about how amazing she is. Though it's not perfect, their relationship gives me hope for my own future. 

In sum up, I love you, Marmy. You're my favorite :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers